Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ps 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

As we come closer to the Thanksgiving holiday, I wanted to take this opportunity to share a few thoughts I had today.I had to spend my day fixing an emergency involving a decrepit rabbit hutch and an escapee.

I had to build a new hutch, which turned out better than expected, I might add. I'll share some pictures of it soon.

During this construction day, I had a period of reflection. No, this is not your typical "feeling blessed" moment. I am blessed, for sure, and I don't want to take that for granted. This time, however, I was reminded of something through one of the radio programs my little girls listen to.I was reminded how very important it is to be still. We all tend to get busy, or at least, have busy work to do. Farm life has more than its share in that area. This is why this concept is so poignant. "Be still and know that I am God..." the bible says.

This is much deeper than just stopping to smell the roses, indeed. All you have to do is sit still, with no sound but the sounds of creation around you, and know that He is God. There is a very comforting feeling in the knowledge that your God is right there, next to you.

In fact, one of the most important aspects to your prayer life is in being still, silent, listening for and to God. He still communicates with His people. There is much comfort in that, also. All too often, we get busy and forget how to be still. You know, a great place to do this is in the woods? This is a place, however small a slice, in which creation is witnessed in action. This is a great place to be still.Perhaps a fast is in order in our lives. Not a fast from food, but a fast from everyday technology and hustle. Maybe, being still could involve just a short time, in silence, concentrating on Jehovah God and seek Him.When we pray, do we take the time after the prayer has been uttered, to listen? I wonder how often we miss God's voice because we have to hurry off to another task. There are many distractions in this world that even make it difficult to not be of the world. But, perhaps, we should try.So, here's the challenge I propose. Take some time to be still. Be still and know He is God. I have a feeling this act would rejuvenate a tired body and rekindle a lost joy.

Ps 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Amen!

No comments: